Sunday, April 7, 2013

Don't ask questions unless you have a reason for obtaining the answer.

One of the doctors who gave a lecture told us that there are only so many good reasons to do a test:

1. The result will change the management of the patient
2. Prognosis
3. Reassurance (only if not dangerous, painful, or costly)

The other poor reasons include curiosity, covering your ass (not a good reason, but necessary sometimes), and financial gain.

I think it's good life advice to follow. Don't ask a question that you aren't prepared to hear the answer to. Most importantly, don't ask a question unless the answer will change the way you do things.

Simple example: Do we have milk in the fridge? If the answer is no, do I plan on going to get milk? Was I planning on having cereal and this answer will determine whether I have cereal or toast? If not, then why ask? If the answer is no, it is only going to annoy me and bother me that I don't have milk.

And the reassurance thing, well, my philosophy is fast becoming if the possible bad news is worse than not knowing, I'd rather stick with not knowing.


No comments:

Post a Comment