Tuesday, July 9, 2013

First day of surgery clerkship

My attending had wise words. He said that it is a guarantee that we will harm people and we will be an instrument of some people's death. He also said that this career is amazing. In no other career will someone meet you for 15 minutes and then agree to let you cut them while they are asleep and vulnerable. His opening speech was much more profound than I can summarize in a few words, but it made me both excited and scared for the upcoming years.

Two tips for those starting third year:
1. Always roll up the sleeves on your white coat when you eat. It will avoid ketchup vs. sleeve mishaps.
2. Always carry cash with you so when the cafeteria is cash only, the attending doesn't have to pay for you on your first day.

Other than that, I start my anesthesia selective tomorrow. We will see how that goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment