Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Grad school vs. career

At this point in my life, everyone my age has made a huge decision. They either are part of the work force or going to grad school. The unfortunate thing about this is there is a huge rift between these two life choices. My boyfriend told me a story of how he was talking to someone who, when he asked what he did, got really sheepish and told him he was in grad school. Joseph of course then told him he was in med school and the conversation became happy again. It's annoying. Why can't both be acceptable life choices to each other?

In discussing this with others, there are a lot of reasons for discomfort on either end. Some in grad school feel like they are missing out as they watch all their friends have money, and they feel weird when people make a big deal that they are going to be a doctor, yet they also feel entitled because they will one day be making more money. Some in the work force feel bad about themselves for not continuing their education and know that those in grad school will be in a better financial position in 10 years yet they feel like real people and look down on those who are still in school wasting money.

It seems to me like a grass is greener sort of thing. You made your decision, others made theirs, so just stick to it and hold your head high. And the decisions that others have made are no better or worse than yours, just different. No one should have to feel lesser or more for it.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting post. Back in the stone ages, when I graduated from college, I desperately wanted to go to grad school. I couldn't afford it. I got a job where I could travel all over the world instead. My close friends went to med and law school. When we got together, they wanted to hear about my adventures and I only wanted to hear about school and what they were studying. Funny how we wanted what the other had. However, back then, we never looked down on one another. It's sad that it happens now.

    ReplyDelete