Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Did you do anything fun?



People don’t seem to understand what being in medical school entails. You can explain it to them frontways and backways over and over, but they still won’t get it. I remember when we were studying for the boards and my boyfriend had a conversation with his cousin while we were studying for Step 1. This is the most important exam you take in medical school. You study for around 5 weeks straight for it (and by straight I mean morning to night, every day, no breaks) and the score essentially determines what kind of residencies you can apply to and what kind of specialty you can do.

Cousin: So what are you up to now?
Joseph: Studying for the boards every day. It’s pretty rough. I have a few weeks left and then freedom.
Cousin: Oh that sounds rough. So like what else have you been up to?
Joseph: Well, nothing. I just study all day every day.
Cousin: Yeah, yeah, I get that. Did you do anything fun this weekend?
Joseph: No. I just studied. All weekend.
Cousin: Did you see that movie that just came out?
Joseph: No I haven’t seen any movies because I have been studying. I also haven’t watched TV so I don’t know what movies are even out now.
Cousin: Oh yeah, that makes sense. Doing anything fun this weekend?

Med students are so boring.

No comments:

Post a Comment