Friday, December 13, 2013

The emergency room is for.....emergencies

Working in the emergency room I've seen a lot of things that do not constitute emergencies even a little.

Sarah: So what brings you to the ER today?
11 y/o Kid: I had a fever.
Sarah: When did you have a fever?
Kid: Yesterday.
Sarah: How did you know you had a fever?
Kid: My mom felt my head and it was warm.
Sarah: Did she take your temperature with a thermometer?
Kid: No.
Sarah: Why did she feel your head?
Kid: I felt like I was hot and so she felt my head and it was warm so she gave me advil.
Sarah: How do you feel right now?
Kid: Good.

The kid didn't have a temp in the ER. He had subjective temp yesterday morning. No other symptoms. Nothing was wrong with this kid. At all.

I don't understand.

1 comment:

  1. Don't even try to understand it. Unfortunately, those are the patients that are clogging our ERs and complain the loudest when they (God forbid) have to wait a long time because the doctors and nurses have to spend time with true emergencies.

    ReplyDelete