Friday, February 15, 2013

Gripes

Today has not been a happy day. I went to bed too late and had to get up too early. I spilled my tea TWICE all over the counter within a span of about five minutes causing me to have to remake it twice. I pulled a muscle in my neck somehow. My apartment decided to run low on hot water so I was forced to take a luke warm/boarding on cold shower. Then we got to our mandatory case discussions and were told the doctors would be an hour late. An hour I could have spent sleeping. The rest of my day thus far has been filled with studying. Needless to say, I am not a happy camper. So here are some gripes for the day:

1. The "high and mighty" attitude of morning people. I am not a morning person. A lot of people aren't morning people. For some reason though, morning people think they are better than everyone else. "Well, what are you going to do when you are on a surgery rotation?" "You can't be upset that you had to wake up for a mandatory class." I am so tired of hearing morning people declare statements of their self proclaimed superiority. I don't understand why it's unacceptable to be tired or to complain about morning class, yet if someone says they are tired after dinner that's totally acceptable. I don't understand why sleeping in late is looked down on, but going to bed early is a perfectly reasonable and responsible action. It's a preference. It's a body chemistry thing. Guess what? When I am on a late rotation at the hospital or forced to think at one in the morning, I am going to be totally fine. I get the same work done as a morning person, I just have my schedule shifted. It's the way I've always worked. So no, I am never going to be cheery and happy at 8am. Deal with it just like I deal with all you morning people being "too tired to go out" at 10 because its "past your bedtime" or "unable to study with you" because it's 9 and your brain isn't working anymore.

2. I know this has been debated before, but I don't like how some people pronounced centimeter. It isn't "sauntimeter". It isn't. I hope I don't have some attending down the road declare that it is and force me to change the pronunciation.

3. ESR and CRP tests. I want someone to explain this to me. I only recently discovered what these are and I still don't understand their point. The physician today even said there isn't much of a point to doing them because a positive test doesn't narrow down your differential at all. You have inflammation. Fantastic. However, every annoying medical student shouts them as answers like they are god. "What tests should we order on the patient?" "SED RATE" Great.

No comments:

Post a Comment