Thursday, February 28, 2013

Pet peeve: speak up!

One of my biggest pet peeves is people who talk quietly when asked to speak up. In general I'm not a fan of quiet people. I'm a pretty talkative person and like being around people who also have a lot to say. I also enjoy people who speak at a volume I can hear them. I don't want to have to strain my ears to have a conversation. I don't want to have to ask you to repeat yourself either.

The biggest problem comes when people answer questions in class or even small group and you can't hear a word they say. Sure, you're shy, that's fine. But don't answer a question if you don't intend to throw your voice a little. Even worse is when the professor asks you to talk louder or asks you to repeat yourself. The volume at which you repeat yourself should obviously be louder than the volume at which you were unable to be heard the first time. These people, instead, answer with the exact same decibel level they had before. If the professor didn't hear you the first time, he sure as shit isn't going to hear you now.

I know for a fact that most of these people don't have laryngitis, or strep throat, or some restrictive lung disease preventing them from projecting their voice. We can all yell. We all have the diaphragm capacity to take a deep breath and force air out of it. There is absolutely no excuse for these people to not raise their voice loud enough for the professor, and those sitting next to them, to be able to hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment