Saturday, February 23, 2013

On my own

My dad always helped me with my math homework. My dad is really smart. Really smart. He didn't make it through college, but if he had I can't even imagine the places he would be right now. He found ways to explain academic topics to me in a way no professor could. Then there came a day when he couldn't help me anymore. He looked at my homework and I had, in fact, surpassed his knowledge of math. I was on my own.

This weekend, Joseph went on a ski weekend. He went to light the industrial stove that was in the cabin they were staying in and it blew up in his face. He's not burned too badly, just a few spots of missing skin on his nose and forehead and an overall "bad sunburned" look. Not to mention his eyebrows are gone and his hair is singed. Anyway, the point is my first instinct was to call my mom and ask for her advice. She's always been the go-to for medical advice.

Then I realized at this point I know way more about treating burns than her (which, albeit, isn't much). There isn't anything she could tell me that I wouldn't already know.

It's a weird thought when you're slowly exhausting all the things you need your parents for and gaining that knowledge yourself. But, let's be serious, I still totally don't know anything about taking care of my car. I still call my mom about cooking questions all the time. My dad still does my taxes. Oh, and that whole money thing. Still need them for that from time to time (including my phone bill and car insurance).

Parents will never go out of style.

No comments:

Post a Comment