Saturday, February 9, 2013

H&P Fumbles: pick your poison

Learning the history and physical is daunting. I'm sure once I get the hang of it and really learn the best way to ask questions and perform the physical exam tasks it will get smoother. Until then, I have a lot of stories about how myself or colleagues effed up the H&P or a patient made it difficult. When you practice on your med school friends who know the entire exam, they respond exactly how you want them to. Patients? Not so much. Therefore, I'm starting this series that will hopefully give those of you both with and without medical experience a chuckle from either silly patients or my own ineptitude.

Me: Do you drink alcohol?

Patient: I used to.

Me: How much would you drink? Maybe a six pack a night? (Aside: I read on a blog or heard from someone that it's better to start with a huge number and those who don't drink will be flustered and insist way less than that and those who are large drinkers won't feel like you are going to judge them since you threw out that number)

Patient: I don't drink beer.

Me: Right, well, the equivalent of a six pack?

Patient: [blank stare]

Me: [trying to decide whether to explain the 1 shot = 1 beer rule]

No comments:

Post a Comment